Mid-Week Camera Review … Week 2

Argus Argoflex E TLR

photo

The Argoflex is a medium format TLR (twin lens reflex) waist level camera. From my research, the Argus Argoflex E was made American made from 1940-48. The suggested film is the old school 620. The only difference between 620 film & 120 film is the film reel on the 620 is much smaller. Most 120 rolls will not fit in 620 cameras. The good news is that the loading area and takeup area in the Argoflex will allow (has room for) a roll of 120 film. I’m glad I did not have to re-roll 120 film onto a 620 reel. It’s possible, but not easy. I have another 620 camera I’ll be shooting later in the summer. Stay tuned.

The Argoflex I have has a nice fairly clean brown leather case. The case can remain attached on the camera while shooting since it has a hole opening for the film advance knob & a hole opening to view for when you advance the film to the next number.

Ansco brown leather case.

Ansco brown leather case.

ND4_5437

ND4_5438

The camera has a simple easy to use shutter speed & aperture. The aperture goes from f4.5, 6.3, 9, 12.7, 18 … yes kind of odd if you ask me, so much for the standard aperture settings. The shutter speeds range from 1/10th, 25, 50, 100, 1/300th, B & T. The lens is a Argus Varex 75mm f/4.5 Anastigmat.

ND4_5439

ND4_5440

The waist level viewer does not work properly, it seems like a spring is not set correctly. It does not hinder the shooting part of the camera, just the fine tune focusing. I will also have to say that it is a bit awkward focusing with your left hand and clicking the shutter with the right hand while holding the camera. It is possible to do, just takes some getting used to or at least through 12 exposures.

ND4_5441

Focusing area not working properly.

Focusing area not working properly.

ND4_5444

6x6 (2 1/4 sqr) film size.

6×6 (2 1/4 sqr) film size.

Loading Arista EDU 120 film into the camera.

Loading Arista EDU 120 film into the camera.

The 620 takeup reel.

The 620 takeup reel.

A small broken edge on the back enclosure. After loading the film and closing the enclosure, I used duct tape to seal the leak. The leather case helped.

A small broken edge on the back enclosure. After loading the film and closing the enclosure, I used duct tape to seal the leak. The leather case helped.

I’m really interested in seeing the results of shooting with the Argoflex, I enjoy shooting with the larger 120 film and processing the film in the darkroom. The 120 film is much bigger than the 35mm film.

Vacation is happening next week, so I am not sure when I’ll get to processing the film. I will however, be shooting with another camera next week.

Come back Monday to see what I’m shooting next week and the results from the Argoflex.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s